Bardney (St. Lawrence)
BARDNEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the W. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 10 miles (W.) from Horncastle; containing, with the hamlet of Southrow, 1192 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 5019 acres, of which 1711 are arable, 2500 pasture, and 808 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7; net income, £60; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln, whose tithes have been commuted for £280, exclusively of Southrow. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free grammar school was founded in 1711 by Thomas Kitchen, who endowed it for the benefit of the children of Bardney, Bucknall, and Tupholm, with a salary of £35 per annum for the master, together with a house and garden. There is also an almshouse for fourteen widowers and widows. A monastery here, in which Ethelred, King of Mercia, became a monk in 704, was destroyed by the Danes in 870; and, about the period of the Conquest, was restored for a society of Benedictine monks, by Gilbert de Gaunt, Earl of Lincoln: the revenue, at the Dissolution, amounted to £429. 7.