Bardfield-Saling (St. Margaret)
BARDFIELD-SALING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Dunmow, hundred of Freshwell, N. division of Essex, 5¾ miles (N. E.) from Dunmow; containing 381 inhabitants, and comprising about 1100 acres. The living is a donative; net income, £75; patron, W. Sandel, Esq.; impropriator, J. M. Raikes, Esq. It was returned in the reign of Henry VIII. as a chantry, and granted to Henry Needham, by whom it was conveyed to George Maxey, but it was recovered by suit in chancery, on condition of his being allowed to appoint the chaplain.