Bardfield, Little (St. Catherine)
BARDFIELD, LITTLE (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Dunmow, hundred of Freshwell, N. division of Essex, 3 miles (E.) from Thaxted; containing 375 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 1654a. 2r. 33p., and is finely situated in a fertile and well-cultivated district, was granted in the reign of Edward III. to the abbey of St. John in Colchester. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the patronage of the Rev. Mordaunt Barnard: the tithes have been commuted for £465, and there are 63 acres of glebe, with a handsome parsonagehouse. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a low tower, and contains some monuments to the Walford family. A school, now conducted on the national plan, was endowed in 1774, with £18 per annum, by Sarah Barnard, who also endowed an almshouse for five widows.