Barcombe (St. Mary)
BARCOMBE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chailey, hundred of Barcombe, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Lewes; containing 1028 inhabitants. It comprises 3106 acres, whereof 305 are common or waste; and is bounded on the east by the river Ouse, on which is a flour-mill that has existed since the Conquest, and has been for more than a century in the possession of the family of Mr. Russell Gray, who has also established an extensive oilmill at an expense of £10,000. Sandstone of good quality is quarried for building purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 10. 10.; net income, £719; patron, the Crown. The church is an ancient edifice in the early English style, with later additions. A chapel was built at Spithurst in 1841, by subscription.