BARBON, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Lonsdale, union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Kirkby-Lonsdale; containing 315 inhabitants. The township comprises 4204 acres, of which 1960 are common or waste; the soil is light and gravelly, and its surface undulated, rising to the summit of Barbon Fell. Peat is in abundance, and there is a small vein of coal. The North-Western railway runs through the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale. The chapel, and a schoolroom adjoining it, were built by subscription, in 1815; the school has a small endowment, bequeathed by John Garnett, in the year 1721.