Bapchild (St Lawrence)
BAPCHILD (St Lawrence), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 1¼ mile (E. S. E.) from Sittingbourne; containing 338 inhabitants. Ecclesiastical councils were held here during the heptarchy, in commemoration of one of which, convened under Archbishop Brightwald in 794, an oratory or chapel was erected, of which there are still some remains. The parish comprises 1058 acres, whereof 94 are in wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The great tithes have been commuted for £435. 5., and the vicarial for £165. 5. 6.; the appropriate glebe consists of 5 acres, and the vicarial of 1½ acre. The church is principally in the early English style, with modern insertions, and has a shingled tower.