Banstead (All Saints)
BANSTEAD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Epsom, First division of the hundred of Copthorne, W. division of Surrey, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Epsom; containing 1168 inhabitants. It is situated on high ground, on the chalk hill which stretches into Kent; and comprises 5463 acres, chiefly in pasture: 1375 acres are common or waste. Banstead Downs are remarkable for their verdure; and the fine pasturage they afford to numerous flocks of sheep has long rendered the excellence of Banstead mutton proverbial: a considerable portion of them has, however, been brought under tillage of late years. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £13. 8. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. L. Buckle. The great tithes, belonging to the Rev. Mr. Buckle and R. Hudson, Esq., have been commuted for £393, the vicarial for £300, and a rent-charge of £201. 5. 9. is payable to the trustees of Newport grammar school; the glebe consists of 6½ acres. The church is built of flints, and consists of a nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower surmounted by a lofty spire. There is a place of worship for dissenters in the hamlet of Tadworth.