Banham (St. Mary)
BANHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Guilt-Cross, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Attleborough; containing 1165 inhabitants. It comprises about 4000 acres of rich loamy land, belonging to various proprietors: the village is situated on a gentle eminence. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 3. 6½., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £800: the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church, a large handsome building with a square tower surmounted by a wooden spire, was founded by Sir Hugh Bardolp, Knt., whose effigy is in a chapel belonging to the church, and some trifling remains of whose family seat are still visible in the parish. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. About 150 acres of fen land were awarded for the benefit of the poor, at the inclosure.