Bampton, Kirk (St. Peter)
BAMPTON, KIRK (St. Peter), a parish, in Cumberland ward, E. division of Cumberland, 6½ miles (W.) from Carlisle; comprising the townships of Kirk-Bampton, Little Bampton, and Oughterby; and containing 536 inhabitants, of whom 193 are in the township of Kirk-Bampton. This parish is of oblong form, much greater in extent from east to west than from north to south. In the east is the village of Kirk-Bampton, a little to the south-west of which lies Oughterby, and in the west is Little Bampton township. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 17. 10.; net income, £100; patrons, alternately, the Earl of Lonsdale and Sir Wastell Brisco, Bart. There are two chalybeate springs, one of them discovered in 1826, near Fingland Rigg; the other, called Toddel Well, has been long known.