Balsham (Holy Trinity)
BALSHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Radfield, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Linton; containing 1271 inhabitants. It comprises about 4500 acres, the soil consisting principally of clay and chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £39. 16. 8.; net income, £1104; patrons, the Governors of the Charter house, London. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1801. A little westward from the village are Gogmagog hills, on the summit of which are remains of a circular camp with a double rampart, supposed to be British. The ancient trench called Fleam-Dyke commences in the vicinity. Hugh de Balsham, founder of Peter-house College, Cambridge, was born and is interred here; and Thomas Sutton, founder of the Charter house, resided at the place.