Balcomb (St. Mary)
BALCOMB (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cuckfield, partly in the hundred of Street, but chiefly in the hundred of Buttinghill, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (N.) from Cuckfield; containing 1542 inhabitants. It comprises about 4170 acres; and is intersected by the London and Brighton railway, which here passes through its principal tunnel, the construction of which was attended with much difficulty on account of the extraordinary swelling of the earth when exposed to the air. Midway between Balcomb and Cuckfield, the line is carried over the river Ouse by a viaduct 462 yards in length and 60 yards high, which rests on 37 arches. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 18. 6½., and in the gift of the family of Bethune: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises 70 acres. About a quarter of a mile from the church is a spring, the water of which is similar in its properties to the Tonbridge waters.