BALBY, with Hexthorp, a township and ecclesiastical parish, in the parish, union, and soke of Doncaster, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. S. W.) from Doncaster; containing 486 inhabitants. It lies on the east side of the river Don, on the roads from Doncaster to Rotherham and Worksop; and comprises 1420 acres, whereof 640 are the property of the corporation of Doncaster, who are lords of the manor. There are a brewery and some tanneries. The parish was formed in August, 1846, under the act 6 and 7 Victoria, cap. 37. The church, the site for which, and for some schools, was given by the corporation, was built by subscription, in 1847; and the living has been endowed with £150 per annum by Miss Elizabeth Goodman Banks, of St. Catherine's, in whom the patronage is vested. The first meetings of the Society of Friends, under their founder George Fox, were held at Balby and the neighbouring village of Warmsworth.