Bainton (St. Mary)
BAINTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Stamford; containing 161 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Stamford, and near the river Welland, which is navigable to Boston; it comprises 993a. 1r. 31p. of fertile land, and contains some quarries of stone chiefly used for rough building and road-making. The living is united to the rectory of Ufford; the tithes were commuted for corn-rents in 1796. The church exhibits some interesting specimens of early English architecture. On the east of the parish are remains of the Roman road to Lincoln.