BAGWORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Thornton, union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Leicester; containing, with the liberty of Bagworth-Park, 569 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 2101 acres, one-third arable, and the remainder nearly all pasture; the surface is rather hilly, the soil alluvial, and the scenery plain. The Leicester and Swannington railway passes through. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Rood, has a Saxon door, and the walls bear the date 1637. There is a place of worship for General Baptists. A school, with a house and garden, was founded by Lord Maynard in 1761, and endowed with £8 per annum; and £20 per annum, the produce of various bequests, are distributed among the poor.