Bagington (St. John the Baptist)
BAGINGTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Warwick, Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Coventry; containing 245 inhabitants. It is situated between the rivers Avon and Sow, the former bounding it on the east, and the latter on the west; and consists of 1650 acres, of which a considerable portion is attached to Bagington Hall. The Duke of Hereford, afterwards Henry IV., previously to the day appointed for the combat between him and the Duke of Norfolk at Coventry, in the reign of Richard II., took up his residence in an ancient castle in the parish, of which there are now no remains. The hall was built in 1706 (the old manor-house having in that year been destroyed by fire) by William Bromley, Esq., speaker of the house of commons, and subsequently one of the principal secretaries of state. The London and Birmingham railway passes in the vicinity, and here is a station on the line. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. D. Bromley: the tithes have been commuted for £355, and there is a glebe of 19 acres. A school conducted on the national plan is supported by an endowment.