Badsworth (St. Mary)
BADSWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York; containing 750 inhabitants, of whom 200 are in the township of Badsworth, 5 miles (S.) from Pontefract. This parish, which is on the road from Wakefield to Doncaster, comprises the townships of Badsworth, Thorp-Audlin, and Upton, and consists of about 4320 acres of productive land, of which 1750 are in the first-named township, the property of the Earl Fitzwilliam, and the centre of a sporting district called the Badsworth Hunt. The place was the residence of Col. Bright, an eminent officer in the parliamentarian army, who was created a baronet soon after the restoration, and was buried in the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Earl: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises 168 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated English style, with later insertions, and was thoroughly repaired in 1826, at an expense of £500. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.