Badger, or Bagsore (St. Giles)
BADGER, or Bagsore (St. Giles), a parish, within the liberties of the borough of Wenlock, union of Shiffnall, locally in the hundred of Brimstree, S. division of Salop, 5 miles (S.) from Shiffnall; containing 137 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 920 acres: red sandstone of good quality is obtained, and from the quarries was raised the stone for the erection of the church. The neighbourhood also abounds with stately timber, and from one oak alone was procured wood for the pulpit, pews, and all the other interior fitting-up of the church. Here is a narrow rocky dingle, richly wooded, through which flows a small river; walks have been tastefully formed, and the spot is much resorted to in the summer. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4., and in the gift of R. H. Cheney, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £254. 10. 6., and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church was erected about 1835, at the expense of the patron, and is in the later English style, and embellished with stained glass.