BACTON, a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 11½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Hereford; containing 140 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1177 acres, and is bounded on the east by the river Dore: the land is fertile in corn and apples, and a considerable quantity of cider is made; there is a large supply of excellent limestone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Francis Hamp, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £122. 9. The church contains, in the north side of the chancel, a monument of the Corinthian order, with a curious inscription, to the memory of Mrs. Blanche Parry, of Newcourt, in the parish, and for many years maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth. Mrs. Blanche Parry, in 1589, bequeathed as much land as would produce 140 bushels of wheat and rye, to be divided among the poor of Bacton and the hamlet of Newton; and there are other bequests to the poor, recorded on a stone slab in the church. Some chalybeate springs have been discovered within the last few years.