Baconsthorpe (St. Mary)
BACONSTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Holt; containing 326 inhabitants, and comprising 1332a. 3r. 38p. The manor was long held by the Bacons, one of whom was the learned John Bacon, who died in 1346. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9, and in the gift of John Thurston Mott, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and there are 33 acres of glebe, with a handsome house. The church was partly destroyed by the fall of the steeple in 1729, but was thoroughly repaired, chiefly at the expense of the Rev. Mr. Hewitt, in 1779.