Byfleet (St. Mary)
BYFLEET (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chertsey, First division of the hundred of Godley, W. division of Surrey, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Cobham; containing 672 inhabitants. At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor was included among the possessions of the abbot of Chertsey; it eventually came to the crown, and Edward II. is supposed to have resided here occasionally, and to have granted the lands to his favourite, Piers de Gaveston. The river Wey, and the Guildford canal, pass through the parish, and the South-Western railway very near: it contains by measurement 2034 acres, the soil of which is sandy. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 11. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £187. There is a pleasant parsonage-house, with 32 acres of old glebe lying around it, and the incumbent has about 90 acres of other land, allotted in lieu of tithes in 1800. The church has a monument to the Rev. Joseph Spence, the well-known author, who died at Byfleet in 1768. An old mansion called Byfleet Park, at present a farmhouse, was built by Edward the Black Prince; and at this place Henry VIII. was nursed.