Buxton (St. Andrew)
BUXTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (N. W.) from Coltishall; containing 713 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the western bank of the navigable river Bure. The living is a discharged vicarage, united, with the living of Oxhead, to the rectory of Skeyton, and valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 9.: the tithes of Buxton have been commuted for £256. 16., of which £145 belong to Sir E. Stracey, Bart., £12 to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and £99. 16. to the incumbent, who has also a glebe of 35½ acres. The church is in the later English style, and has a square embattled tower: the nave, which is lighted with clerestory windows, is separated from the chancel by the remains of a carved screen; and on the north side of the chancel is a beautiful piscina, with stone stalls for three priests. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and Wesleyans. Thomas Bulwer, in 1694, left £200 for the poor, which, with the bequests of Sir John Picto and others, produce about £60 per annum. This was a subordinate Roman station, and several remains have been discovered.