BUTTERWICK, a chapelry, in the parish of Foxholes, union of Driffield. wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 10½ miles (N. by W.) from Great Driffield; containing 100 inhabitants. It comprises about 1645 acres, of which 1470 are arable, 95 grass, and 80 plantation: the village, which is neat, is situated on the banks of a small rivulet. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £47; patron, the Rector of Foxholes. The tithes were commuted for land in 1771. In the church, which is a small ancient edifice, is a Knight Templar's monument at full length.