BUTTERWICK, a township, in the parish and union of Sedgefield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 11 miles (S. E.) from Durham; containing 51 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the see of Durham, and in the 13th century was granted by Bishop Nicholson, under the designation of Buterwyk, to the family of Sadberge; from them the estate passed to the Hotons, and among subsequent owners occur the families of Belasyse, Yong, Baynbrigg, and Salvin. The chantry of St. Katherine in the church of Sedgefield, also had land here, which was attached to it at the period of the Dissolution. The township comprises 1495 acres. The tithes have been commuted for £113. 11. 8.