BUTTERTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Mayfield, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 7 miles (E.) from Leek; containing 388 inhabitants. The river Manifold runs through the district, which comprises by computation 1300 acres: limestone is quarried, and a small quantity of gritstone; and a lead-mine is in operation. Portions of copper-ore, stalactites, fossil shells, and an ore called by the miners "brown end," convertible into zinc, are found; and there is a mineral spring strongly impregnated with sulphur. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patron, the Vicar of Mayfield: impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire. The chapel, a neat stone edifice with a tower, was built in 1780. William Mellor, in 1754, bequeathed property now producing £16 a year, for which children are taught to read.