BUTTERLEY, a hamlet, in the township of Ripley, parish of Pentrich, union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (S.) from Alfreton. This hamlet lies at the north-east extremity of the township, and on the Alfreton and Derby road. Here are extensive ironworks, belonging to a company formed in 1792, and producing all the heavier articles in cast-iron, and machinery of various kinds: the ore and coal are conveyed to the spot by railways, and by the Cromford canal, which, by means of a tunnel, 2966 yards in length, passes under the works. In the neighbourhood is a reservoir covering 70 acres, for supplying the Nottingham canal. Butterley Hall is a handsome mansion, three-quarters of a mile from Ripley.