Butley (St. John the Baptist)
BUTLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Plomesgate, partly in the hundred of Plomesgate, but chiefly in that of Loes, E. division of Suffolk, 7¼ miles (E. by N.) from Woodbridge; containing 364 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by a branch of the river Ore, called Butley Creek or Eye, over which are two ferries to Orford. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the living of Capel; net income, £135; patrons and impropriators, the Trustees of P. Thellusson, Esq. A priory of Black canons, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, was founded in 1171, by Ranulph de Glanvill, a celebrated lawyer, and afterwards justiciary of England: the revenue, at the Dissolution, was £318. 17. 2. There are only some trifling remains of the buildings of the priory, but the gate-house is still in good preservation.