BUTLEY, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Macclesfield; containing 602 inhabitants. At the time of the Norman survey, this place, then the property of Ulluric, a Saxon free-man, was exempted, and is consequently unnoticed in Domesday book; a mark of clemency which the owner probably acquired by some signal service to the Conqueror. The township comprises 1470 acres of land, the soil of which is clay and sand. The manufacture of silk is carried on to some extent. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, with a school attached. Some tumuli were discovered in the vicinity a few years since. This is the birthplace of Thomas Newton, a distinguished writer in the sixteenth century.