Butcombe (St. Michael,
BUTCOMBE (St. Michael,) a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Hartcliffe with Bedminster, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (S. S. W.) from Bristol; containing 256 inhabitants. It abounds in ironstone, which is sent to Bristol, and there shipped to Wales. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 17. 10.; patron and incumbent, Rev. George John Sayce: the tithes have been commuted for £210, and the glebe consists of 5 acres. The church is a very old structure. A singular barrow, 150 feet in length from north to south, and 75 in breadth from east to west, was opened in 1788, and exhibited an entire specimen of a well-arranged family vault, in which were found skulls and other fragments of human bones.