Bushley (St. Peter)
BUSHLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Tewkesbury; containing 334 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Severn, by which it is bounded on the east, and which, on the opposite bank, receives the waters of the Avon, a little above Tewkesbury, in the county of Gloucester. It comprises 1681 acres, more than two-thirds of which consist of pasture and orchards; the lands are well-wooded, and the soil fertile. The village lies a little to the north of the Tewkesbury and Ledbury road. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £58; patron and impropriator, J. E. Dowdeswell, Esq. The present church, consecrated in June, 1843, stands on rising ground, and is a handsome edifice of cruciform design, with a spire: the walls are built of blue stone procured in the parish; the ornamental parts are of freestone. A small school is supported by the Dowdeswell family.