BURY, a parish, in the union of Sutton, hundred of Bury, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Petworth; containing, with the tything of West Burton, 611 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 3397a. 3r. 18p., is bounded on the east by the river Arun, and on the north by the Rother, and is intersected by the road from London to Bognor and Arundel: an act for inclosing lands was passed in 1841. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 5.; net income, £100; patron, the Prebendary of Bury in the Cathedral of Chichester. The tithes have been commuted for £485, and there is a good glebe-house, with about 20 acres of land. The church is an ancient edifice in the later English style, consisting of a nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a low shingled spire: in the north window are the arms of Richard, Earl of Arundel, who purchased the manor from the abbey of Fescamp, in Normandy, in 1392.