Burwash (St. Bartholomew)
BURWASH (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Ticehurst, partly in the hundred of Shoyswell and Henhurst, but chiefly in that of Hawkesborough, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 8 miles (S. by W.) from Lamberhurst; containing 2093 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Lewes to Cranbrook, which intersects the village; and comprises 7000 acres, whereof 685 are common or waste: the neighbourhood abounds with ironstone, for the smelting of which a blast-furnace formerly existed. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence, surrounded by hills of greater elevation, and consists of one long street, containing several respectable houses. A fair for cattle and sheep is held on the 12th of May. The living consists of a sinecure rectory and a vicarage, the former valued in the king's books at £8. 10., and the latter at £18; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. Gould: the tithes have been commuted for £1125, and the glebe comprises 80 acres. The church is partly in the early and partly in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a low spire. There are places of worship for Calvinists and Independents; and a national school supported by an endowment of about £35. 10. per annum. On Goodsial farm is a mineral spring.