Burwarton (St. Lawrence)
BURWARTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Bridgnorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 9 miles (S. W.) from Bridgnorth; containing 151 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Bridgnorth to Ludlow, and comprises by computation 1240 acres, mostly pasture and woodland; about 300 acres are occupied in sheep-walks. The surface is undulated and mountainous: good ironstone is obtained. The Hon. Gustavus Hamilton is the proprietor; his mansion, built in 1840, is in the Italian style, and commands beautiful views of the Abberley, Malvern, Titterstone, and Clee hills. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Churton: the tithes have been commuted for £102, and the glebe comprises 20 acres, with a house. The church, an edifice in the pure Norman style of architecture, was restored by Mr. Hamilton, in 1843; the eastern window is of stained glass. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.