BURTONWOOD, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (N. W.) from Warrington; containing 836 inhabitants. Burtonwood manor was held by the barons of Warrington, by the annual service of one penny at Easter; and is named in the 12th of Henry III. in the perambulation by twelve knights of the county, who returned that (among other woods) "Burton Wode" ought not to be disforested. The families of Haydock, Legh, and Bold are also named in connexion with the place. The chapelry comprises 3814 acres, whereof about 700 are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with 38 acres of common or waste; the surface is nearly a perfect level, and the soil for the most part a heavy marl, but in the south lighter and more valuable. The chief proprietors are Lord Lilford and H. Bold Hoghton, Esq., the latter of whom is lord of the manor. About a mile and a half of the Liverpool and Manchester railway, and more than half a mile of the Liverpool and Birmingham line, pass through the chapelry, the former in the northern, and the latter in the eastern, part; and the Sankey canal crosses it in the direction of St. Helen's. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90, derived partly from two farms in the neighbouring townships of Croft and Hindley, and partly from Queen Anne's Bounty; patron, the Rector of Warrington. The tithes have been commuted for £421. The chapel, built about 1736, is a plain brick edifice with a semicircular chancel, and has been lately enlarged. There is a small school, with a house for the master. At Bradley Hall, once the manor-house, is some ancient stone work, called the "Castle;" it must have been very strong, from the thickness of the walls remaining, and it is highly probable that it supported a drawbridge, as the house is surrounded by an ancient moat.