Burton, Long (St. James)
BURTON, LONG (St. James), a parish, in the union and hundred of Sherborne, Sherborne division of Dorset, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Sherborne; containing 386 inhabitants. It is situated on the great road between Bath and Weymouth, and comprises by measurement 1026 acres. The females are chiefly employed in making gloves for the Yeovil and other manufacturers. There are extensive stone-quarries, from which are obtained limestone, and excellent stone for building. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Holnest annexed, valued in the king's books at £10. 15.; net income, £275; patron, C. Cosens, Esq.; impropriator, R. Gordon, Esq.: there is a good glebe-house, with 20 acres of land. The church was built more than 200 years ago. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.