Burton-Leonard (St. Helen)
BURTON-LEONARD (St. Helen), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Knaresborough; containing 455 inhabitants. It comprises 1739a. 2r. 39p., of which 1100 acres are arable, and the remainder grassland; the soil is of an inferior kind, and the surface generally undulated: stone of excellent quality is burnt for lime. Many of the inhabitants were formerly employed in the flax and linen trade, but it has entirely ceased. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 1. 0½.; net income, £140; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York: a glebe-house was erected in 1839, and there are 45 acres of glebe. The church is a small plain structure, built in 1782. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.