BURTON-LAZARS, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 1¾ mile (S. E. by S.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 262 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. James. In the reign of Stephen, an hospital dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Lazarus, was founded here by a general collection throughout England, the principal contributor being Roger de Mowbray: it was dependent on the great house at Jerusalem, and was the chief of all the lazar houses in England; and the revenue, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was estimated at £265. 10. 2. The buildings stood near a spring, the water of which was in high repute for curing the leprosy; a bath and a drinkingroom were built about 1760. The land in this lordship is peculiarly fine.