Burton, Kirk (St. John the Baptist)
BURTON, KIRK (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg. W. riding of York; containing 18,452 inhabitants, of whom 3474 are in the township of Kirk-Burton, 5 miles (S. E.) from Huddersfield. This parish comprises the townships of Cartworth, Foulston, Hepworth, Kirk-Burton, Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland, Wooldale, and part of Cumberworth-Half; the whole forming an area of 15,990 acres, whereof 1260 are in Kirk-Burton, which includes the hamlets of Dogby-Lane, Green-Grove, Linfit-Lane, Spring-Grove, and Paddock, and the village of High Burton. The village of Kirk-Burton is of considerable size, and pleasantly seated on a declivity at the junction of two narrow ravines, or valleys. The woollen and fancy-waiscoating manufactures are carried on to a great extent, affording employment to about 2600 persons: edge-tools, and spades and shovels, are manufactured in High Burton; and there are coal-pits and good stone-quarries. Fairs for cattle are held on the last Mondays in April and October. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; net income, £276; impropriators, the governors of Sheffield Hospital. The tithes were commuted for land in 1799. A sum of £4 is annually paid by Kirk-Burton to the vicar of Dewsbury, as a mark of its dependence upon that ancient church. The parochial church, built in the reign of Edward III., is a large and commanding edifice, with a square tower; an organ was erected in 1836, at a cost of £300. At Holmfirth and New-Mill are district churches, the former an ancient structure; and at Thurstonland is an episcopal chapel. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school, established in 1714, was endowed in 1721 by the Rev. Henry Robinson, with a bequest of £100; and in the following year with a bequest of £360, by J. Horsfall, Esq.; which sums, having been invested in land and houses, produce about £80 per annum: the school was rebuilt in 1840.