Burton-Coggles (St. Thomas � Becket)
BURTON-COGGLES (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Beltisloe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1¾ mile (W. N. W.) from Corby; containing 260 inhabitants. It comprises 2476 acres, and has a pleasant village seated on an eminence beneath which a small rivulet flows. Limestone of a soft quality is quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 12. 3½.; and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £530, and there is a good glebe-house, with a glebe of 104 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, and contains the figures of two crusaders in good preservation. A school has an endowment of £21 per annum, arising from a bequest of land at Quadring by John Speight, in 1734, and by Catherine Chomeley, in 1773.