Burton, Cherry (St. Michael)
BURTON, CHERRY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Beverley; containing 455 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Beverley to Malton, and comprises 3438a. 3r. 7p., of which 2683 acres are arable, 653 meadow, and 50 wood. The soil is clayey, and in most situations suitable for the growth of wheat; and the surface generally level, but in some parts undulated: about a third comes under the denomination of wold land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £23. 6. 8.; patron, Robert Ramsden, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £1050, and the glebe comprises 25a. 3r. 27p. The church, a small ancient edifice with a square tower, has traces of Norman and early English architecture; it was repaired in 1842. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.