Burton-By-Lincoln (St. Vincent)
BURTON-BY-LINCOLN (St. Vincent), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from the city of Lincoln; containing 206 inhabitants. The ancient family of Monson has long flourished in the neighbourhood; and many of its members have represented the city in parliament since the reign of Elizabeth. Of this family were, Sir William Monson, a distinguished naval captain, afterwards admiral; and Sir John Monson, Bart., who rose to great eminence in the law. The fifth baronet was created Baron Monson, of Burton, in 1728. The parish comprises 2260 acres of land, including Hathow, a farm three miles west of the village, where is a tract of low land, now well drained, but formerly swampy. Lord Monson is lord of the manor and owner of the parish, and has a large mansion standing in a finely-wooded park, called Burton Hall, long a seat of the family, and lately repaired for his lordship's residence. The village, which is pleasant and well built, is scattered over a bold acclivity. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of Lord Monson; net income, £419. The church is a small neat structure, built in 1795. Some almshouses with gardens attached, for ten widows, were founded before 1651 by Sir John Monson, who endowed them out of his Burton estate with £20 per annum; the widows have also £5, arising from £100 left by Edward Monson, Esq., in 1712. Burton is entitled to send free scholars to the school at South Carlton.