Burton-Bradstock (St. Mary)
BURTON-BRADSTOCK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridport, liberty of Frampton, though locally in the hundred of Godderthorne, Bridport division of Dorset, 2¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bridport; containing 1201 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the English Channel, and on the west by Bridport harbour, comprises by measurement 2700 acres: the scenery is bold, and in some parts strikingly romantic; the cliffs on the beach rise perpendicularly to a great height, and abound with fossil remains. In the village is an establishment for spinning flax, and the linen and woollen manufactures afford employment to about 200 persons: stone of good quality for building is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Shipton-George, valued in the king's books at £25, and in the gift of Lord Rivers: the tithes have been commuted for £416. 10. payable to the incumbent, and for £18. 3. belonging to impropriators; the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, in the Norman style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.