Burton, Bishop (All Saints)
BURTON, BISHOP (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3 miles (W.) from Beverley; containing 532 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from York to Hull, and comprises 4208a. 20p., of which about 170 acres are woods and plantations; of the rest two-thirds are arable, and one-third pasture. The soil is various, the greater part a strong clay, with some very rich grazingland near the village; and the surface is undulated. There is a good limestone-quarry. On the village green is a fine pool of water, near which stood a long-noted gigantic elm, that was blown down in 1837. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of York: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1767. The church, which stands on an eminence, has an ancient chapel and a tower; the nave was rebuilt some years since, at a cost of £1700. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Ten children are instructed for £20 a year, the rental of land purchased with a legacy of £100 from Mrs. Elizabeth Gee, in 1714; and almshouses for four persons are endowed with about £70 per annum, arising from property given by Ralph Hansby, by deed dated July 24th, 1614. Here are several tumuli, in which human bones and urns have been found; and near Killingwold-graves is a pillar called Stump Cross, supposed to have been one of the crosses which marked the limits of the sanctuary of Beverley.