Burton-Agnes (St. Martin)
BURTON-AGNES (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York; comprising the townships of Burton-Agnes, Gransmoor, Haisthorpe, and Thornholm; and containing 603 inhabitants, of whom 322 are in the township of Burton-Agnes, 6½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Great Driffield. The parish comprises 7167 acres, of which 3323 are common or waste. The Hall, a noble brick mansion, and the seat of the ancient family of Boynton, was built about the year 1703. The living is a vicarage, with the living of Harpham annexed, valued in the king's books at £20. 6. 3.; patron, Thomas Raikes, Esq.; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The tithes have been commuted for £865. 16. payable to the archbishop, and £735. 10. to the vicar, who has 130 acres of glebe. The church, an ancient structure with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, presents every variety of style from Norman to later English, and contains a beautiful monument in alabaster, with the effigies of a knight and his lady; and also a fine old Norman font, which was lately restored, after having been used for many years as a flower-bed in the vicarage garden. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a national school is partly supported by a portion of the produce of land bequeathed by Richard Green, a former vicar, in 1563, and yielding £50 per annum, the residue of which is appropriated to the relief of the poor and the repair of the church. An hospital for four widows was founded, and endowed with an annuity of £20. 10., by the widow of the late William Boynton, Esq.