Burton, with Walden
BURTON, with Walden, a township, in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 7¼ miles (W. by S.) from Middleham; containing 523 inhabitants, and comprising 6790 acres, whereof about 1800 are common or waste. The village is situated in a district abounding with fine scenery, on a small stream which falls into the river Ure, and contains a great quantity of salmon: the Bishop's-dale and Walden rivulets unite below the village. The hamlet of Walden has some scattered houses in its romantic dale, extending up the Walden stream to the distance of five miles south of Burton, between lofty moors and fells. Wool-combing is carried on. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.