BURTON, a chapelry, in the parish and liberties of Wenlock, union of Madeley, Southern division of Salop, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Wenlock; containing 181 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the road from Wenlock to Ludlow, and comprises by computation 1800 acres. The soil is various, but fertile; the surface is boldly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by a small stream called the Corse. There are quarries of stone for building; and the rocks abound with fossil remains. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron, the Vicar of Wenlock. Here is a Roman camp in excellent preservation.