Burton (St. Nicholas)
BURTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union, and Higher division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the township of Puddington, 428 inhabitants, of whom 282 are in the township of Burton, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Great Neston. The parish is situated on the river Dee. The manor for many generations belonged to the Bishops of Lichfield and Coventry, of whom Bishop Alexander de Savensby, in 1238, appropriated the tithes to the hospital of Denwall, in the parish, which, with all its revenues, Henry VII. about the year 1494 gave to the hospital of St. John the Baptist, Lichfield, to which establishment the property still belongs. The township of Burton comprises 1340 acres; the soil is a light sandy clay. At Denwall is a colliery, opened about the year 1750, and still in operation; the mine extends for nearly a mile and three-quarters under the river: the produce is sent chiefly to Ireland. There are also some quarries of excellent freestone; and facilities of communication with Chester and Liverpool are obtained by railway. The market, granted in 1298 to Bishop Langton, and a fair for three days on the festival of St. James, have both been discontinued. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £54; patron, Richard Congreve, Esq. The church, with the exception of the chancel, was rebuilt in 1721. There is a Roman Catholic chapel at Puddington. A free school was founded in 1724, by Dr. Wilson, the pious and benevolent Bishop of Sodor and Man, who was born here in 1663, and who gave £200, and his son, Dr. Thomas Wilson, rector of St. Stephen's, Walbrook, £200 more, towards the endowment.