Burstow (St. Bartholomew)
BURSTOW (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union, and Second division of the hundred, of Reigate, E. division of Surrey, 8 miles (S. E. by S.) from Reigate; containing 863 inhabitants. There are four manors, or reputed manors. That of Burstow-Court Lodge became, in the 15th century, the property of the Gages, of whom was Sir John Gage, K. G., a distinguished military officer in the reigns of Henry VIII. and Edward VI.; the family sold the property in 1613. The parish comprises 4717 acres, of which 731 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and there is a glebe of 43 acres. The church is chiefly in the early style, with a wooden tower and spire. The Independents have a place of worship at Outwoods. Sir Edward Byshe, Garter king at arms and Clarencieux in the time of Cromwell and at the Restoration, was born at Smallfield Place; John Flamsteed, astronomerroyal, was rector of Burstow, and was buried here in the year 1719.