Burstead, Little (St. Mary)
BURSTEAD, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, S. division of Essex, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Billericay; containing 170 inhabitants. This parish, at the time of the Norman survey, belonged to the Bishop of London; and its chief manor, with the advowson of the rectory, is still the property of his successors. It comprises 1569 acres, of which 20 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12: the tithes have been commuted for £350, and the glebe comprises 26 acres of land. The church is a small neat edifice.