Burrough-Green (St. Augustine)
BURROUGH-GREEN (St. Augustine), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Radfield, county of Cambridge, 5½ miles (S.) from Newmarket; containing 452 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2216 acres, of which 1747 are arable, 266 pasture, and 175 wood. The surface is diversified with gentle elevations terminating in a high ridge in the centre of the parish, which commands very extensive views: the soil is in general clayey and wet, except in the vicinity of Newmarket Heath, where it is dry and chalky, and of very inferior quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 10., and in the patronage of Charles Porcher, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £527. 14. 10., and the glebe comprises 62 acres, with a good glebe-house. Schools are supported by an endowment. Editha, consort of Edward the Confessor, had a palace here.