Burrough, or Burrow-on-the-Hill (St. Mary)
BURROUGH, or Burrow-on-the-Hill (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Gartree, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (S.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 149 inhabitants. This place has been identified by Camden with the Roman station Vernometum, and he also infers, from the meaning of the word, that here was a temple to a heathen deity: the summit of Burrough Hill exbibits traces of an encampment, the lines of which inclose an area of eighteen acres, now under cultivation. The parish comprises by measurement 1500 acres; the hilly parts contain red sandstone, which is quarried for building and the repair of roads, and in which numerous fossil shells are found. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of Mrs. M. Burnaby: the tithes have been commuted for £249 payable to the rector, and £48 payable to the vicar of Somerby; the glebe consists of about 75 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is supposed to have been erected about the fourteenth century, and contains a very ancient circular font. Cheselden, the surgeon and anatomist, was born here.